Recipe of the Week - December 4, 2013
Chicken Tortilla Soup
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chunky salsa
1 – 10 .75 oz can Low Sodium condensed Tomato Soup
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups cooked diced chicken meat
1 ½ cups frozen sweet corn
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup roughly crushed tortilla chips
1. Heat olive oil in large, heavy saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onions, bell peppers and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook another 1-2 minutes.
3. Add condensed soup, chicken broth and cumin. Cook several minutes, allowing flavors to meld.
4. Stir in chicken, corn and cilantro. Cook 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir half of the crush corn chips into the soup. Ladle the chicken tortilla soup into bowls. Serve garnished with remaining crushed chips.
Provided by Debbie Clark, RCH Food & Nutrition Manager
Marketing/Public Relations Coordinator